Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Anti-Blog Prompt: Celebrity Edition

Anti-Blog Prompt: Celebrity Edition


So, tonight’s just one of those nights that I can’t seem to focus completely on anything, which means that while I was reading Act V, I kept thinking about a certain “celebrity”. Although I haven’t always viewed him this way, now that I think back to it the “celebrity” that I picked for Achilles certainly does fit. And, here he is:




That’s right, it’s Scar from “The Lion King”. I personally consider Scar a celebrity even though he isn’t an actual person, mainly because he is so notorious amongst several evil villains. As soon as I began Act V, (for whatever reason) I thought of Achilles as the Scar of Troilus and Cressida. I think it has something to do with how Thersites called Achilles the “idol of idiot-worshippers,” (5.1.6-7) although it also could have something to do with the fact that Achilles really is one of the only truly mean spirited people in the play, which brings me into the next part where I see Achilles as Scar:



This image immediately popped into my head as soon as I saw Achilles and his Myrmidons walk into the place that Hector was, because I knew at that point that Achilles was going to kill Hector, even though he was unarmed. I mean, come on, Achilles; Hector even let you live when you were bested! But, no, of course you can’t just say “Bless you, Hector, for you spare me even though I am the foulest devil” and walk away…nope, you have to kill the poor dude. Scar killing Mufasa at this point resembles almost exactly how I felt when I read that Achilles was going to kill Hector: furious, and ready to push Achilles off a cliff into a stampede of wildebeests (or in this case maybe Myrmidons). For me, Achilles certainly does fit the profile of Scar: ruthless, his own leader, and an absolute dick-wad. Anyway, that’s my celebrity edition, and, oh, wait! I forgot to say this earlier about Act V…OMG THEY’RE ACTUALLY FIGHTING!!! Yeah, I think that should about do it. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more lovely sassiness.

P.S. If you hadn’t already figured out who Achilles’ Myrmidons are in relation to Scar and “The Lion King”, here are a few pics for you:

Before battle...

Going into battle...

Saluting Achilles like idiots (and a personal favorite)...


No comments:

Post a Comment