Monday, March 31, 2014

Troilus and Cressida (Act IV, plus a small rant)

Troilus and Cressida – Act IV

            It is in Scene I of Act IV that we find a pertinent discussion of Helen between Paris and Diomedes. Here we find out that Helen is mostly seen as an object to be won in this war, instead of as a person to be loved by either side, especially when Paris says:

            “Fair Diomed, you do as chapmen do:
             Dispraise the thing that you desire to buy.
             But we in silence hold this virtue well:
             We’ll but commend what we intend to sell.—
             Here lies our way.” (4.1.77-81)

It is understood here that Paris intends to call Helen a sort of object for sale (or in this case, won), and that he applies this to both him and Diomedes in the last three lines of his words. We also find out that Helen is blamed specifically for the war through the words of Diomedes:

            “She’s bitter to her country. Hear me, Paris.
             For every false drop in her bawdy veins
             A Grecian’s life hath sunk; for every scruple
             Of her contaminated carrion weight
             A Trojan hath been slain. Since she could speak
             She hath not given so many good words breath
             As, for her, Greeks and Trojans suffered death.” (4.1.70-76)

Even though Helen was kidnapped, and was being held against her will, it is clear from this passage that she is still almost the sole blame for the deaths of all the young soldiers – Greek and Trojan alike – and that this view will not falter. Instead of blaming those who started the war, we find many blaming Helen, which is an atrocious thing to do, as this was not her choice.


            As for the beginnings of the war that we see starting in Scene V of Act IV, I’m conflicted between laughing out loud and throwing the book on the ground. Let me explain further: The first true beginnings of the war start with Troilus having to give Cressida over to Diomedes, which sparks a bit of verbal conflict between Troilus and Diomedes, but nothing further; and then I turn the page and expect for swords to start clanging, but what do I get? Nothing. In fact, I get through the rest of Act IV without any actual mention of a fight going on between the Trojans and Greeks, but what I do get is a picture of a flowery field as the Greeks just about run to welcome Hector with open arms after Hector politely ends the “battle” with nothing but goodness in his heart. What. The hell. Is going on here?! I find myself currently partially fuming about the whole no-violence ordeal, but wanting to laugh because a war without any true mention of fighting is like pretending that the floor is lava when you were a kid, and acting as if you’ll die if you stick a toe off of the damn couch. I mean, come on, Shakespeare; we all know you love a good fight, so for the gods’ sakes please give me a fight here! I get that you have terribly dry comedy in this particular play, but, really, spare me. At any rate, all I’ve seen of some actual conflict so far is what has gone on between Diomedes and Troilus over Cressida – which turned out interestingly as even then there was no drawing of swords or mention of taking one or the other down in the fight to come. So, to conclude this little blog of mine, I’d like to say: Helen, don’t worry honey, I won’t let those mean old men blame you for everything and take out their anger on you; and, Shakespeare, get your Trojan War together here – you’re killing me with this obscene venturing of comedy at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment