Friday, February 14, 2014

Part 1 of Henry IV (Act 2 - Scene 5)

Henry IV – Act 2

In lines 395-439 of Act 2, Scene 5 of Part 1 of Henry IV, we see Prince Henry and Falstaff act out their own scene where Henry plays his father and Falstaff plays Henry. Here we see Henry’s father accusing Falstaff of being a negative influence on Henry and then the real Falstaff come to his own defense through the character of Henry. I’d imagine this scene to start out with Henry sitting in front of Falstaff with a regal façade, as Falstaff stands in front of him ready to begin the scene. I could see Henry starting out with a somewhat light-hearted tone as he speaks his first few lines and then growing ever more serious as he begins to confront and question Falstaff about his honesty. All the while, I believe I would have Falstaff remain serious due to the fact that he honestly is defending himself through the character of Henry at this point, and would remain standing in front of Henry until the beginning of his defense at which I would have him turn away in serious thought about what to say next until the last few lines of his short speech where he says, “Banish not him thy Harry’s company, …” (line 436) As for Henry’s ending line, I would have him say it with half seriousness and half humor as to confuse and keep Falstaff pondering this for a while.


In staging this scene, I believe I would have a few smaller tables with chairs around the one larger, main table in the center of the stage where Falstaff and Henry would be. Although at one time I think Falstaff would have had a drink, for this particular scene I would have him put it down so that it made the scene a bit more serious on his part. As for Henry, I would have him begin sitting in a chair with him leaning to one side as if to sort of mock Falstaff, and then as he gets more serious start to straighten up and pay more attention to what Falstaff has to say. Furthermore, I see the lighting as being dimmed around them with the main spotlight upon only their table during the entirety of their scene. After Henry finishes his last line, “I do; I will” (line 439), I would have the lighting rise again and then the hostess come running in to tell them that the sheriff is at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment