Much Ado About
Nothing (Act I)
In Act I of Much Ado
About Nothing we are opened into the house of Leonato, the governor of
Messina, and told of a man named Don Pedro who has long been at war and thusly
returns. Don Pedro is a brave man who “hath borne himself beyond the promise of
his age, doing in the figure of a lab the feats of a lion.” (lines 11-12)
Further in we are introduced to Beatrice, the niece of Leonato, who is quite
witty for a woman of that time. Beatrice particularly interested me because of
this feature – she openly scolded Signor Benedick of Padua and insisted that
her accusations were quite true of him. This came as a bit of a shock due to
the fact that women back then were usually not permitted to speak of men in
that way, nor did women usually speak with wit to match a man’s. Beatrice’s
independence and intelligence is openly shown through her actions and words,
which leads me to believe that she will prove to be the most unique character
in this play.
Later in Act I, we find out that Claudio is in love with
Beatrice, but requires assistance in telling her in which Don Pedro volunteers
to help him woo her. Funnily enough, one of Antonio’s (Leonato’s brother) men
over hears this conversation between Claudio and Don Pedro, but misunderstands
and reports to Antonio and Leonato that it is Don Pedro who is in love with
Beatrice, not Claudio. From this short conversation between Leonato, Antonio,
and his messenger, I find it peculiar that the messenger heard wrong, when
another man, Borachio, heard the same conversation and knew that it was Claudio
who is in love with Beatrice. I wonder whether or not the messenger for Leonato
and Antonio truly did hear wrong, or if there is a scheme in the making.
Don Paul is the bastard brother of Don Pedro and, as we
learn in the end of Act I, truly dislikes (I’d even say hates) Don Pedro. Thus,
when he learns of Claudio’s love for Beatrice he decides to create trouble
amongst this arrangement. However, I’m intrigued by why it is that he has such
a hatred for Don Pedro and his right hand, Claudio. Surely, it cannot just be
because he is Don Pedro’s bastard brother and there must be another reason.
But, this reason is unknown and leaves me wondering what happened and why it is
that Don John desires to cause such trouble for the two of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment